Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

When to give up

Leaving the new job yesterday, I noticed (for the first time) that I'm next door to my ex-boyfriend's work. I was thinking about how bizarre that was and thought "well, maybe he's quit that job by now." After all, it's been six months. But then I remembered, this guy couldn't even turn off a movie that he wasn't enjoying. He watched until the bitter end, no matter what.

I used to say he was "addicted to possibility." As long as there were still options, he could never make a decision. He could never say "I'm going to do this, and that's that." He would have to ask everyone for their opinion and even then, still couldn't decide. Our relationship for example: he didn't know if he loved me (even though he once thought he did) and he had to ask his dad what love was. A 34-year old man was asking his dad to tell him if he loved me! In the end, I was the one who did the leaving because I'm the opposite. I'm 100% in or I'm 100% out. Yes or no. I know what I want and I fight hard for it. But if it turns out to be the wrong thing, I'm out.

How does this relate to marketing? It reminds me that bad marketers spend all of their efforts trying to sell these people - the masses of undecided, unfocused, and unsure. They still haven't learned that most people don't make buying decisions because they don't make decisions. They emulate the people who make decisions. And that's why you sell to THOSE people. To the ones who are smart, savvy, educated and make decisions. They're a different group for every product - you have to know who they are, and you have to sell to them. Market to the unsure and you've insulted the decision-makers because they're smarter than you are.