Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Why do we have to work?

I've interviewed for a couple of good positions but I've already given notice. YAY! I'm free! I got an offer from one company who really want me, they want me to start right away and they're offering me good money. However, there's another company that's doing something I'm really excited about but they haven't made me an offer yet, and they're putting me through the ringer. Apparently, even though it pays thirty THOUSAND less than the other position, a lot of people really want this job.

So even though I'm free, now comes the stress.

Here's what I'm dealing with.
1) I don't want to work at all. WHY DO WE HAVE TO WORK?
2) I'm leaving an easy job that pays well because I can't settle into the mediocrity like everyone else.
3) I'm terrified to take the job that really wants me because there's so much responsibility.
4) I think I really want this other job but I wonder if I'm an idiot for wanting it.
5) I had to put off the good offer even though they wanted an answer right away and I had to lie to do it. And I feel awful about that.

People's perception of the job search isn't much different from their perception of relationships. Do I want the job I haven't been offered because it's harder to get and I haven't been offered it yet? When I tell people about the job, there are people who are just happy for me. Others encourage me to keep looking - there's so much out there. And some people think it's okay to keep one in the dark while you investigate your options but that makes me feel like a cheat. Isn't that weird? Everything is the same.

No comments: