Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2007

A story for The Purple Cow

The Purple Cow is a great book about the uselessness of "marketing" your product. Instead, focus on making your product remarkable. A remarkable product sells itself.

So, one day I wake up and I can't move my neck. It's not the first time this has happened. I've had chronic neck soreness. A couple of years prior I visited a chiropractor after one of these sessions and he asked me how often I wake up with neck pain. "Uh...every day" I answered. Apparently, that is not common. The chiro adjusted me, I didn't feel better, and he wanted me to come back at least six times without explanation. Needless to say, I didn't.

Cut to present day and I was at the gym and on the way in, said to myself, "I need to find a chiropractor." Then I see a couple of ladies giving a demonstration on myo-something having to do with the stiffness of my muscles around the spine, pulling the spine out of place. Turns out there's a chiro in the gym and the next day I had an appointment.

I went a couple of times and the first few sessions were focused on educating me about my spine. I watched videos, I read pamphlets, I was x-rayed. While waiting for my appointments, I read testimonials. After a couple of treatments - adjustments, massage, ice packs, stretches - I'm feeling better. I was presented with a bill for a year's worth of treatment. Guess what? I bought it. THAT'S good marketing.

No comments: