Pages

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Money is so gauche

In addition to not being smart enough to hire me, the VP that interviewed me for the position at the company "doing something I was really excited about" was offended by the fact that I took the other position "because they offered more money." How GAUCHE to consider money when looking for a job! Apparently his comment that "we're doing something noble here" should preclude me from even thinking about this job in the same terms as every other job - challenge, enjoyment, perks, money.

Unfortunately, he missed the point. My four hours of interviews and three glowing references should have been his indication of my level of interest. I mentioned the pay cut to EMPHASIZE that I was willing to make that sacrifice for this position (talk about noble). I waited a full 24 hours after my final interview for the job offer. It never came, so I took the other job. I'm glad I did too.

Word to the wise: It's just as important for a company to pitch you. You're more valuable than they are. Without employees, they're nothing and don't you forget it.

No comments: