Pages

Friday, March 9, 2007

Billboards of naked women

I moved recently and my new work commute is mostly freeway. It's a much nicer commute, even when there's traffic because everyone on the freeway is doing the same thing, more or less, going straight ahead. But one thing I just realized that I don't encounter anymore are the billboards of naked women (and bad TV shows). There was a period of time when I was outraged, every morning, by a barrage of skin and bones Mischa Barton, giant breasts in a guys face for Two and a Half Men (they're raising a kid, get it? it's HILARIOUS!), an extreme closeup on a models pouting lips (selling a car of course) - well, you get the picture.

But then today I saw this billboard:

Whose genius idea is this movie? I don't even know where to start. We've got two actors known for choosing bizarre/bad/downright tacky roles, a white girl on a chain held by a much older black man, the follow-up film from the white director of "Hustle & Flow" (also a depressing movie with degrading female roles) and the name "Black Snake Moan." I presume that is supposed to sound as sexual as possible with the black snake of course being his penis and the moan is what happens when he uses it? Am I the only disturbed by this? I don't know, I guess I'm one of those people who wants a film to be uplifting, liberating or jeez, at least a meaningful commentary on something. Maybe this is but I will probably never see it.

1 comment:

B said...

I thought it was just a PJ Harvey reference. I can't hear mention of the darn movie without "Long snake moan" running through my head. Which is fine by me; we need more PJ in our lives