Pages

Friday, March 23, 2007

A girl who knows how to handle herself

I went out for drinks last night, close to my house, so I walked. Since it was night time, I walked quickly and with purpose. A young woman came out of a restaurant and walked in front of me for a while. She was thin and had on very high heels that made her whole body wobble a little. She was walking very quickly too, almost running, and her long dreadlocks seemed to be weighing her tiny body down. I heard hooting and hollering from a bunch of guys from across the street. The more they cheered, the faster she walked, stumbling and almost falling at one point before ducking into a parking garage. The moment she did, hoots of disappointment came from across the street and then silence. A foot behind, I was invisible.

I told this story to my dad and he said something about how some women walk in a very feminine way while others don't. What does that mean, feminine? Does it mean delicate or in a more vicious way, weak? Fragile? Instinctively, are men drawn to the "weaker sex," when they're easy to catch?

This scenario played out like a pack of hyenas chasing an injured antelope, struggling with a sprained ankle to keep up with the herd.

The more she hurried and stumbled, the louder their hollering. Yet they paid me no attention. True, I was marketing myself as a woman who's capable and not a victim (I didn't have a car to stumble into) but it has never had anything to do with attractiveness. From the distance they were at, she could have been a transvestite! All they saw were heels and wobble. Raaaaaowr.

No comments: