Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Not a thrill seeker, just living with fear.

Reading Seth Godin's book "The Purple Cow" made me realize that the company I was working at accepted that their product was mediocre and it would never be remarkable. It's what made it possible for me leave. I didn't give up, I just got wise. I spent eleven long months trying to make it better, trying to inspire others to make it better. All I did was open their eyes to the madness and now they're either miserable that I've left or they've left with me.

Seth Godin, in his blog, describes people as thrill seekers or fear avoiders. I start my new job on Monday and although it's not exactly what I want and it's not exactly the biggest stretch, there are things I don't know and obvious challenges ahead. I am afraid. I wouldn't categorize myself as a thrill seeker and yet I'm clearly not a fear avoider. I CHOSE FEAR. I'm someone who lives with fear and merely aspires to be a thrill seeker.

I need to be challenged and dream of working with people who are smarter than me and yet I live in fear of actually finding that situation. This might be it! (But it probably isn't. Come to think of it, I was afraid starting work at the last company and that turned out not even to be a real company.) So what am I afraid of? Someone finding out that I'm not as smart as I think I am.

Maybe I am a thrill seeker!

No comments: