Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Learning Shuttle protocols

Day two of the new job and I'm so exhausted I have to drink coffee in the afternoon just to make it through the day. The job is energizing but as soon as the caffeine and adrenaline fade, I crash into an evening of babbling idiocy. My body is crying for exercise, my brain for sleep and my stomach for good home cooked food. This is temporary, this craziness, but it still takes it toll. The job has been a little chaotic in that there's a lot going on and my boss is going on vacation tomorrow but overall, they are impressed at how quickly I've been able to plug in and start working. As my boss' boss said, "get used to drinking out of a fire hose, that's how it goes around here." I told my good friend Steve that I think a lot of the job is just being able to figure things out and he reassured me that I could probably figure out how to fly the space shuttle if I had to.

He wrote me this email that provided a welcome relief to the crazy day:
Cut to the year 2012, Angelique has been selected to fly on the shuttle to the international space station representing eBay's foray into the save-the-world foundation with Al Gore and Bono. A serious encounter with space debris renders the shuttle inoperable as an explosion has incapacitated the astronauts, who are now dead or unconscious. With Al Gore's portly girth wedged between two science experiments and Bono hiding in a space locker, Angelique unbuckles herself and assesses the situation. NASA engineers hear only the phrase, "for fuck's sake", and know everything is going to be alright. After Googling shuttle protocols from the Internet, she re-enters the earth's atmosphere and lands the shuttle at Edwards Air Force base to throngs of fans. "Maybe now I can get that freakin' movie deal" she is heard saying to herself. Indeed!

No comments: