Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2007

I'm not talking to you

Every morning, an army of mommies set out with their kids in strollers to walk around Santa Monica. I see them on my way to work. But something strikes me as odd: they're all on the phone. Facing them in the stroller, the babies and toddlers look for some kind of engagement but mom is on the phone to someone else.

My neighbors have a newborn. Ben is nine weeks old and cries a lot. His mom has people over all the time, other moms, or is on the phone. She talks all day long to other people. The only thing I ever hear her say to Ben is "shhhhhhhh." One day I went by and he was napping on one couch while she laid on the other and read a book. I know that having a newborn can be overwhelming but I also know that bonding with the mother through touch, eye contact and speech is critical. I can't help but wonder if Ben cries because he's not getting enough of those things.

What kind of kids will this cell phone generation grow up to be? Will they be ultra-demanding, stupid, distracted, or just cell phone addicts as well? I have to believe that people spend more time on the phone as a result of the mobility. Certainly we don't have more to say, do we? Nothing crucial is happening on these phone calls, we're just using them for entertainment and a way to avoid doing something else, like paying attention to our children.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I may give a little break to those moms on the phone, perhaps they are board or some thing ... but I totally agree with you about the strange way most people are raising their kids these days. Cell phone and game-boy nation...no sense or interest for mathematics or geometry.

"Logic and analysis? Forget about it I have much inportant task to accomplish. I must keep wasting my time on MySpace. What the f...are you talking about? Dude you're uncool" is a typical response you get from an average teen ager now a days.

I think reproduction is very easy and can be done by any male and female but being a parent is not a job every human can handle correctly. It is a full time mission.

Anonymous said...

Noooooooo not reading on the other couch while he napped!? Say it aint so!!!!...ANYthing but that! Why didn't she shake and wake him and like, get him to watch a Baby Einstein video or get him started on another language or something?

Do you have kids Bunny? Why do I doubt it. Most young mothers are isolated and alone. At least this kid will get some good verbal skill and the sense that there are more folks out there than just his lonely and pissed off mom.

"Cries a lot"? isn't that what 9 week olders do Bunny? If not, what the frick else do they do? And she visits with people and chats "all day long?" How do you know? This is you conducting research? Maybe a better question is, why aren't YOU out bonding with some eye contact and physical touch and leaving this poor mother alone?

Angelique Little said...

I've been working at home, looking for a job, sitting at my computer. Her door is open all day and my window is right next to it so I can hear everything that goes on over there - if I could have my computer/desk somewhere else I would - I'm not eavesdropping. And no, I don't have kids but I like kids and I know babies cry. I'm just saying that he cries a lot, they've told me so. And part of the "fun" of having a blog is questioning things in society and I prefer to use specific examples in my questions rather than just pure theory. I have quite a few mommy friends with babies this age. I'm not judging my neighbor at all. She might have post-partum depression or she just may not connect with her baby, it's totally normal.