Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Put your money where your ear is

In college, I signed up for long distance (telephone) service with a new company called Working Assets. Their big promotional campaign was sign up and get a free pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. One percent of the bill goes to a good cause of your choice. Round up your payment and those pennies add up to a sizable donation, making it easy to make a difference.

When I got a cell phone, in 1999, I gave up my land line and never looked back. I've been with Sprint the entire time and while I've been happy with the reception, they charge too much and I don't care for their customer service. I never left them, however, because I didn't want to lose my phone number. Then when it became possible to take the phone number to another provider, I couldn't find any that were better.

One day, I got an email from Amnesty International (I've been meaning to write about their email communications because they're excellent) with a promotion for Working Assets...WIRELESS! This is the best deal on the planet. I get a free phone (and an update to Bluetooth, web and camera), they buy out my old contract with Sprint, they're on the Sprint network but offer cheaper plans AND 1% of my bill goes to a cause of my choice.

I called the customer service to get signed up and my sales representative was so nice. Kim explained everything, gave me all my options and was very patient while I made up my mind. I can't wait to get my cool new phone. If you want to give your provider the boot, get a free phone and make a difference, consider giving Working Assets a try.

4 comments:

Drew said...

Wow, so they really bought out your Sprint contract? That's crazy. Isn't there a $200 fee for buying out early?

If they'll buy out my plan, I'd definitely give them a shot. I checked out their website and their rates are VERY competitive.

Angelique Little said...

You have to pay the fee and then WA applies a credit to your account, but yes, they pay for it. My new phone went in the mail an hour after I hung up the phone. Yee-haw!

B said...

Oh, my fluffy bunny, I can't disagree with you more on this one. The 1% to a good cause thing is an advertising gimmick like any other. I mean, say you're paying the usual $50/month for service, equals $600/year. For that, they contribute $6 to Amnesty.

Whoop-dee.

I mean, if the pricing is a good deal, and the service (which is evidently Sprint anyway) is OK by you, then run with it. But the green, socially conscious face of the company impresses me as somewhat disingenuous. You may do better to find another plan for $5/month less, and then contribute the $60/year savings to Amnesty yourself.

Angelique Little said...

B,

I ordered the benefits of the new service in order of importance: Free (upgraded) phone, buyout of the Sprint contract, cheaper service AND (the icing on the cake) 1% of my bill goes to a good cause.

My monthly bills have been about $80/mo. (before taxes, naturally) so I'm actually contributing almost $10/yr. I donate $50-$100 to Amnesty every year, which isn't much but without doing anything, I've increased my contribution by 5-10%.

Plus, it's not about MY $10, it's about the collective giving. If everyone was on WA instead of Sprint, wouldn't you say that all of our dollars add up to a significant contribution?

It may be marketing hype but there are plenty of marketing tactics that have nothing to do with helping anyone. This is part of a larger trend (and WA was way ahead of their time) of company's taking an interest in and responsibility for the society that pays their bills. And THAT is probably the most worthwhile cause of all.