Pages

Friday, July 6, 2007

I love animals!

This is why I'm vegetarian. So that I can read stories like this one and know that I'm on the side of the animal instead of having to grapple with the conflicting interests of meat eater and animal lover.

The New York Times featured an article about Farm Sanctuary in upstate New York, the home of SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY rescued farm animals from all over the country. Started in 1989, the farm is 175 acres in the Finger Lakes region and has such notable residents as a dozen chickens who survived Hurricane Katrina, some ducks who were saved before their livers became foie gras, and forty slaughter-house bound pigs abandoned on the road side by their driver.


Lucky Lady the lamb, only 7 months old, is the farm's newest resident. Found tearing through the streets of the Bronx, dirty and tired, she probably escaped from a slaughterhouse or a live meat market. Much like fellow resident Queenie the cow who, in 2000, "busted out of a slaughterhouse in Queens, running free for 20 blocks until police shot her with a tranquilizer gun in a playground. She was just a calf then."

It makes you wonder. You always hear that farm animals don't know they're going to be killed, and yet, being raised in factory farms, we can't even say they enjoyed life in the meantime. These stories make me think they know exactly what's going on and like any creature, they want to live. I just love imagining these animals breaking out and running down the streets of New York, "I'm free! I'm free!"

2 comments:

Drew said...

So are you the kind of vegetarian that eats fish or are they up for grabs too? Just curious.

I'm kind of a vegetarian. I don't go out of my way to eat meat and I don't keep any in the house (save for some tuna), but I'll eat it if someone else is providing. I guess I'm not really a vegetarian, more like a lazy carnivore.

Angelique Little said...

A lazy carnivore, that's hilarious! I was vegetarian for five years during/after college and then a lazy carnivore for nine years. I just went back to veggie last month after years of feeling guilty every time I ate meat (which just can't be good for the digestion!) It was actually because of this article that I went back to it and yeah, no fish.