Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Why I blog

For years, I didn't start a blog because I was self-conscious about having my thoughts out in the universe. In my "speaking" life, I'm very spontaneous - asking a lot of questions, stating my opinions (sometimes with little facts) and claiming things that turn out not to be true (embarrassing, but I'm used to it). Although I don't have a problem being wrong, I thought it a good idea to pay more attention to what I say WHEN I'm saying it and less time obsessing over it AFTER I've said it. Sigh, it's not easy.

So, I was working at a frustratingly stunted company, overripe with political nonsense, and I started to miss the road less traveled. I decided a) to find a new job and b) write about it. I still wasn't comfortable with the idea of putting my ideas out into the universe to be CACHED FOREVER but I thought maybe this was the best way to pay attention to what I'm saying and then let it go.

I've been blogging for two and a half months now (I wonder how old that makes my blog in cyber years) and have come to really enjoy it. Blogging (for me) is something between publishing my own magazine and keeping a digital journal. Some concepts I want to spend so much more time on: researching, interviewing, thinking about all the angles and writing draft after draft until I had created a gem. Other posts are just soul-searching ideas that without the blog would not be explored to quite the same depth.

It's much harder than it looks to sit down and put ideas floating around in the brain into coherent words. But the process of doing it I found myself going in a new direction. Finding more than just a hazy dissatisfaction, I also discovered passion in new places. I know there aren't that many people reading the blog and I'm not promoting it - it's literally just parked in cyberspace - so the fact that anyone is reading it and enjoying it is so thrilling.

The fact is, life is time-consuming, and it's easy to spend it all working, eating, sleeping, exercising, and socializing. It's difficult to take time for exploring thoughts but so far, it's been very rewarding. Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Shane MacRhodes said...

....thanks for writing and sharing with us.