Pages

Monday, May 21, 2007

Aphids beware

These are the things I like to do when unemployed:
Get a haircut
Catch up on reading
Visit with friends and family
Wash the car
Clean the house from top to bottom
Write in my journal about life
Walk on the beach
Tend to the garden

I have a couple of plants on my porch, my little garden. A geranium, some lavender, an ivy and a miniature tangerine tree. I noticed that my geranium wasn't doing very well and upon closer inspection saw that it was covered with little white things. I sprayed it with a natural mixture and killed those white bugs. A week later, it was covered with aphids and the leaves were still dropping. I sprayed it again, a couple of times with a couple of different mixtures but still those aphids were there.

Yesterday I bought one of those bags of Ladybugs from the garden store. The bag says "The Ladybug is a very aggressive beneficial insect. The Ladybug will feed and lay eggs for many days before leaving. The new generation will repeat the cycle." I released them in the evening. Most are "sleeping" and need to wake up but many, unfortunately, never did. The ones that were alive, however, went right at those aphids. In a couple of hours, they were completely gone!

I got to watch the Ladybugs chasing the aphids around, and even saw one get caught. It was great. I have to say, they look very cute clinging to my lavender and geranium flowers but these bugs kick ass. They are also already mating - they really get down to business. In a few days they'll fly away and find more aphids to devour.

No comments: