Pages

Monday, April 23, 2007

A matter of opinion

Well, it was bound to happen. As soon as I found someone was reading this darn thing, I got stage fright! Couldn't think of anything to write and couldn't remember why I started the stupid thing. Everything floating around in my head seemed too serious, negative, ridiculous or just boring.

A college student in Malaysia commented last week on a couple of my posts. Apparently I had burst her bubble about work:
working can't be this bad...coz this is worrying me. Im in college now, for a 'proper education', but if it sucks, whats the point? (her comment and my response are here)

And I depressed her about being single:
why do we need to get married anyway? cant women just live on their own and not be perceived as 'old maids' and 'unattractive'? it sucks.

She said "it sucks" twice and I feel kind of bad about that! Her blog has some hilarious little gems in it. She's kind of pissed off about everything and doesn't seem to care what people think. A friend told me I write too much about things that need fixed in the world.

Last week I went to "An Unruly Evening with Harlan Ellison" at the Writer's Guild. They showed a fantastic documentary about Ellison - the award-winning sci-fi writer famous for scripting the TV shows The Outer Limits and Star Trek.

He's a lot more pissed off than I am. In between writing hundreds of stories, TV shows and novels, he's made a career of taking on the stupidity in the world. A friend told him that his problem was "he thinks all the battles are worth fighting."

He needs to relax, his wife said. "Really? Is that the problem?" Harlan retorts, "Oh great, I'll just relax then. You think I choose to be like this?"

He calls the U.S. "fiercely anti-intellectual," and contends that "You're not entitled to an opinion. You're entitled to an INFORMED opinion." And that, my friends, is exactly what makes me hesitate when I sit down to write an entry. Am I entitled to my opinion?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your Blog is a true reflection of what you have in your mind and I don't see any thing wrong in sharing it with the world, as long as you understand that all people do not always think the way you do and have the capacity to take opposite ideas as well.

I've been reading your Blog for a while and I can say you are just in the middle of a so-called mid-life crisis! Some super democratic words about working and questioning the marriage will end to a radical semi-communist belief (“why we need hotels? Why Paris Hilton is rich and I’m not”). I strongly believe it's a cause of having access to almost every thing to establish a normal life, medicine, healthy society, … and the potential to achieve any goal in life in this great country that makes some people do not appreciate what they actually have and start nagging about what they don’t have.

The fact is if you want a better life you better wake up early in the morning and roll up your sleeves! You think women don’t have to marry then OK don’t. But for god’s sake don’t say that because people are getting married or because of rich people you have ended up with such dilemma in your mind.

Why we as human being have this bad habit that we quickly forget about other situations and complaint instead of appreciate?

Angelique Little said...

Hey, thanks! I'm glad you don't see anything wrong with me sharing my opinion. I don't have a problem with yours either.

Sure, it's a great country but that doesn't mean we should all sit down and shut up. We have a great country because we DON'T sit down and shut up. I bet there was a lot of "complaining" going on by our founders before they drafted the constitution. (When did complaining get such a bad rap anyway?)

The wisdom in all this chatter is complain all you want, and then do something about it.

By the way, the business about Paris Hilton and not needing hotels was ironic humor (and a philosophical question about the concept of state). And you can't have read all of my blog (or many other blogs for that matter) if you think I'm a nag. Mine's pretty tame.

constant drama said...

Hey...you blog about me. Hehehe, I'm just reading your blog now because my term holiday just started so I'm busy with partying and going on holidays.

Its true that I am a little pissed off with everything and I don't care bout what people think. Wow, very observant. I'm very impressed.

I really like your blog, the one that caught me was that one entry regarding the 'Weaker Sex', it was an old entry but what you said then really got to me.

Hope the fact that I regularly read your blog doesn't freak you out or anything like that.

Angelique Little said...

I love that you read my blog! You're a little red dot on the map now, did you see that? How exciting! I love seeing the world get a little bit smaller. And I'm glad you're still posting, I really enjoy your blog as well.