Pages

Monday, April 9, 2007

The bizarre world of blogging

I knew blogging was kind of a fad but I had NO IDEA how insanely popular it was until I started my own. Apparently, it's really important for blogs to link to other blogs but no one links to my blog. In fact, I think there are only about three people reading it (I ask them almost every day). And yet I still feel this enormous pressure to post at least five times a week. I get into these big essays and I'm not sure where I'm going with them and sometimes they take days to finish.

In between bouts of writing and editing, I look up other blogs just to see how they do it. One popular blog and I seem to fall down the rabbit hole of blogs. One blog leads to another and another and another. It's endless and my head is spinning. They're all referencing each other like they're in a big club. It seems like everyone and their grandmother has one! Who could possibly have time to read ALL THESE BLOGS? I can barely find the time to write, much less read, and all I keep thinking is: Are we going to get to a day when everyone is writing and no one's reading?

People aren't taking in more information are they? We've been reading, listening and watching for hundreds of years. So what are we getting from all these blogs? As it turns out, what we're getting are perspectives. It's like a diamond reflecting the light in a thousand different ways at the same time. It's the same light, we just have hundreds of views to choose from. Some bloggers are creating content (news, entertainment, advice) but most are just commenting on content already out there. This decade is all about having an opinion.

All aboard!

No comments: