Pages

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Single female, 35, seeks available apartment

I was looking for an apartment, online, and was struck by how much like looking for a date online is. I spent two months looking through listings just to get a sense of what was out there. I spent entire days making decisions about which apartments were worth looking at.

Most of the ones I meet, I mean LOOK AT, are a disappointment. They looked so great in the pictures, they seemed like the dream apartment but they're not. As I draw closer to the date that I need to move, the places I hadn't considered two weeks ago start to look like possibilities. And I have the creeping feeling that I'm about to compromise and make a huge mistake. Desperation sets in.

And then...just when I gave up on finding what I was looking for, and starting to think about crashing on a friend's couch so I could look longer. Driving home from a day of frustrating house hunting, I see a management sign on a beautiful little building. I look at the website of the management company that night and see a perfect apartment for rent. I go the next day to see it, turn in application and in 48 hours, I'm signing the lease. Just like that!

What you want will find you if you let it. When you least expect it.

No comments: