Pages

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Let's start a village

I'm going to do that mashup thing again where I look at a bunch of dots and posit whether they're connected. Here's the first dot. In the 1970's James Lovelock, a chemist and inventor, then working for NASA, published a radical theory: The earth is not a magically self-regulating planet that has always been and will always be, it is a living organism of which we are all a part. It was the first time people were asked to think about our role on this planet as something other than just beneficiaries of all it has to offer. In his latest book, "Revenge of Gaia," Lovelock declares that humans are doomed, global warming is irreversible and by the end of the century, over 6 billion people will die of droughts, floods, disease and hunger.

In an article in Rolling Stone, Lovelock talks about the ones who will survive by recalling a story about a fire on a plane. Everyone stayed in their seats as they were told, frozen, while the few that survived did so by crawling over their fellow passengers and climbing out the windows. The majority of people are going to stay seated during this crisis and die in their seats. It made me think of The Terminator and how Sarah Connor, knowing what was coming, started preparing herself for the fight ahead. According to Lovelock, there are only two ways to survive this - either by going primitive or by going super high-tech. I think it may be a combination of both but the people who can live in a more primitive way, by growing their own food and creating their own energy, will be at a great advantage.

Which brings me to the second dot. An article in National Geographic was talking about the shanty towns near Bombay and then a friend recalled the same story, something he'd witnessed in Mexico City. Enormous populations of people, hundreds of thousands, have built cities from the ground up, by themselves with no developers, no infrastructure, no government support. While poor, these communities are thriving. They have power, they have water, they've built industries and services, their places are clean and nicely kept and they are carbon neutral. These are the greenest cities in the world; everything is recycled or reused and there is no excess. If there is any kind of collapse in our energy supply or our economies, these communities will be impacted the least. Apparently one in six people lives in a squatter town and that number is expected to triple by 2050.

Then I heard one of the most exciting ideas yet in a PopTech lecture by Adrian Bowyer, a challenge to the concept of money. If every home had a small robot that could manufacture any item - a comb, a bowl, a fork - from a resin made of starch grown in the backyard (i.e. corn or potatoes) and those items went right back into the earth when we were done with them, would we have the same need for factories and therefore, money? He quotes science fiction writer Iain Banks who said that "money is a sign of poverty" to illustrate that we would be richer if we didn't need money at all.

Finally, I keep having a certain conversation with my friends about how disillusioned we are with work and its role in our life. These are people scattered all over the country who don’t know each other. They’re all about 30-45, some married, some with children, some homeowners but what we all have in common is that we grew up middle-class, we went to college and we have to work for a living. A rough illustration of who these people are:

- A single guy in D.C. who likes photography, traveling and Jazz. Works in film restoration, which he likes, but there's not much work and it pays very little.
- A recently married woman in North Carolina, about to have a baby, who works as a graphic designer. Loves designing but hates working all the time.
- A new mother and writer in Santa Monica who has to hire two nannies so that she can work when she'd rather spend the time with her baby but can't afford to.
- A single guy in Los Angeles who works a web producer. He loves computers so spends his time in front of one any way but continually has jobs that require 60-hour work weeks.
- A woman in New York working as a teacher whose job is so stressful, she couldn't do it without her live-in boyfriend helping with house work and daily chores.
- A single woman in San Francisco who has spent the last ten years pursuing a career but finds herself unfulfilled by the work.
- A bi-coastal young man, recently out of college, who's already frustrated with the fact that work takes him away from the projects he feels passionate about.
- A woman with a teenage daughter in the Bay Area who finds herself more motivated than everyone she works for and can't figure out how to dumb herself down.
- A single woman in Los Angeles who wants to help people in her native Cambodia but makes ends meet by working at an interactive agency.

We don’t have enough time to do what we enjoy because we spend our lives working and yet don’t make enough money to buy more time. In the jobs, we’re frustrated with others’ lack of commitment or in the company itself and feel that we deserve better. But in the pursuit of a better job in a better company we finally come to realize that work does not fulfill us enough to justify the time spent doing it. Most of us work to create or promote the sale of goods, goods that we use the money we earn to buy. By any measure, it’s not an efficient use of our time.

My friends are ready to quit this rat race of working and buying and are ready to move somewhere quieter, live a simpler life and grow our own food. The problem, I suppose, is that we’re all cultural people who need other people and art to stimulate us and aren’t really the kind of folk you find in rural towns. Back in April of 2007, I wrote that servitude sucks and that we've been duped because more "primitive" societies enjoy abundant free time. Now, it seems, I'm hearing the same thing from everyone: How do we get to a place where LIVING is what we spend most of our time doing instead of WORKING?

And connecting all these dots, I had an idea. A communal village of like-minded people. We want to grow our own food and learn to make our own energy and live without cars. We want to raise each other's children and imagine a society of the future and sometimes watch 30 Rock. Do you think it's possible? It would have to be in Canada, somewhere north that will be less impacted by global warming. I saw a fantastic photo in National Geographic (a similar one I found on the web is here) that shows a village in Israel, built to be egalitarian in that everyone has equal access to school, church, and other community buildings, in the center of town, but everyone also owns a piece of land, on the outside of town. It's limited as to how many people can live there, about 750, and everyone is independent and yet totally connected to each other.


It looks good. It looks real good. What do you think y'all? Ready to buy some property in Alberta?

10 comments:

Cheeseslave said...

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seth and I have already talked about Canada.

OK now we all have to start playing Cashflow so we can get out of the rat race and not need the money.

Cheeseslave said...

BTW one thing... your statement about me is not *exactly* true. I do employ 2 nannies and a housekeeper, that's true -- but I work at home so I do get to spend almost all my time with the baby. They are just changing her, feeding her, doing dishes, etc. while I sit on the computer or on conference calls -- which I actually enjoy very much. I have the best of both worlds right now. And I am making good money which I'm sticking in the bank as fast as I can make it, and I'm going to start leveraging that to invest in real estate -- which will get me out of the rat race.

But you are right -- it is odd that my nanny has to leave her baby with her sister and come watch my baby. I do believe it takes a village.

Also, you need to watch this movie if you have not yet:

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/

You can watch the whole thing online -- it's free.

You'll see in the third part how we are trapped by money, jobs, consumerism and it is planned that way.

You will also see that by moving to Canada we will still be Americans since they are planning to join Mexico, Canada and America into one big federation like they did with Europe. The currency will be called the Amero. Anyway watch it it's amazing.

And yeah, we should go to Canada anyway because of the global warming thing.

Cheeseslave said...

http://www.ic.org/

Cheeseslave said...

If you click on the map link on that website I just posted, it has a Google map of all the intentional communities -- and you can link to them and read about them!

Like this one in Canada: http://directory.ic.org/records/?action=view&record_id=21058

http://www.saranagati.ca/

I seriously think this is the future.

I want to help do the farming, composting, growing vegetables and fruit, milking the cows and making cheese, making kombucha and soft drinks. And managing the chickens! Yay! That would be SO FUN!

I can also bake bread and pizza. We could have a community stone oven like they used to do all over Europe.

Now... who is going to make the wine? I haven't learned how to do that yet. :-) I guess I need to though since most wine is pasteurized anyway and also I just read that they are just starting to introduce GM ingredients into wine (it's a GM yeast -- ugh).

nested said...

I'm in. I can help with a little of everything, and raise the sheep for our wool! Anders can bake all the bread.

Shane MacRhodes said...

Count me in: Chicken care, vehicle maintenance (human powered only), gardening, wine & beer making, and general fun living.

Shane MacRhodes said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

An idea both romantic and terrifying. I simultaneously seek an alternative model and fear that our characters have been so molded by the "independent" scheme of twenty-first century america that the commie thing just isn't tenable - like, from a socio-cultural perspective.

Change is hard, dude.

Unknown said...

Hello,
I am a student in the states who has been studying community for the past year. I just got back from a stay on a homestead where I learned about natural building and permaculture. I will be biking across the country this Summer and Fall and would like to meet people who are interested in starting a village. I have little to offer financially, but my energy and mind can be put to great use. I would love to talk and share ideas, please if anyone is interested, email me zachmccuin at gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello,
I am a student in the states who has been studying community for the past year. I just got back from a stay on a homestead where I learned about natural building and permaculture. I will be biking across the country this Summer and Fall and would like to meet people who are interested in starting a village. I have little to offer financially, but my energy and mind can be put to great use. I would love to talk and share ideas, please if anyone is interested, email me zachmccuin at gmail.com