Pages

Sunday, October 14, 2007

My ass in exchange for the Internet

I finally ordered the Internet! I signed up for a two-year deal with Verizon for broadband. I put a little card in my computer (I don’t have it yet) and I get a connection via satellite the same way phones do. When I called this weekend, I had to give them my social security number as part of the application process. I played my little argument against it, “do you know it’s illegal to require it?” I asked? "Wow, really? But seriously, if you want service, you have to give it." They literally won’t process you without it.

They have to run a credit check, see, and they say it’s to protect me – so thieves can’t add lines of service and run up my bill – but it’s really to protect them from thieves adding lines of service and running up my bill. So I offered to pay a deposit. It’s what I do with my utilities and other services that want to run a credit check. I paid PG&E $115 to get my gas and electricity turned on. When I move out, they give it back. It covers me in case I don’t pay a bill because, in the case of energy, they have to actually send someone out to shut it off.

No can do, the rep said. If my credit isn't any good, I'll have to pay a deposit but I can't pay one to BYPASS the credit check. How does phone service get to be so difficult to acquire? I’m going to pay for the equipment up front, immediately, with a credit card and it’s non-refundable. I’m going to pay in advance for every month of service AND if I don’t pay, they can turn off my service (at the push of a button) I mean, maybe there’s a chance that they can’t with this card thingy but lord, a credit check? It just seems excessively invasive (welcome to the new America!)

But wait, there’s MORE! They get a credit guy on the phone to now verify some details from my report that only I would know – to make sure it’s actually me calling – and this is after I’ve given every vital piece of data on myself to a 22-year old in Cleveland (what kind of credit does he have I wonder?) “Where were you issued your social security card?” they ask? And where did I live prior to my current address? What outstanding debt do I have? What state did I first pay taxes in? Finally I pass the screening test and I’m allowed to purchase the equipment and commit to two-years of service. Seriously, could they cover their own asses any more on my dime? I don’t think so.

1 comment:

B said...

Fuck `em. I've given up on all land-based telecoms. I'm sharing `Net with my neighbor (in an entirely legitimate manner) and have a cell phone. Of course, cell phone customer service is also below-par, but they don't pretend that I can't get along in life without them. The telcos are just not gonna get it until we stop giving them money. See also this Washington Post article, that endorses revolt as well.