Pages

Monday, October 8, 2007

Letting go or playing God?

I chatted with a guy at the airport who was flying to put down his dog down (the dog was living with the guy’s ex-girlfriend). He was pretty bummed out about it and was having a bad day and a hard time at the airport to boot – about to miss his third flight that day. He said making the decision to end his dog’s life was really difficult and he was having trouble reconciling it even though the poor guy is old and suffering.

Walking quickly with him towards his gate, I tried to console him by telling him a theory that I heard – that pets live longer, despite failing health, because they’re loyal to us. They love us and know we need them so they stick around, out of loyalty. In nature, animals that are old, sick or dying, just lie down and die, or get eaten or run across the road and get hit by a car. The theory goes that they’re not attached to their bodies the way we are because life and death are natural.

He was not consoled so I continued to explain that it was actually his duty as the human guardian of his dog, to allow him to move on. I said he should just tell him, “it’s okay dude, I’ll be alright, you can go.” He chuckled at my use of the word dude, thanked me, and rushed to board his plane. After the conversation, though, I keep coming back to the same question. Why is it so easy for people to eat meat but so difficult to end the life of their pet?

While in LA, I mentioned at lunch that I was a vegetarian and someone questioned the fact that I still wear leather shoes. Even when I was veg the first time, for over five years, I wore leather shoes. I’ve been in need, for several years now, of a good pair of tall boots and now that I’m in the Bay Area, more than ever. As I shop, however, I find myself grappling with the idea that I can’t continue to be the animal lover that I want to be and still wear them on my feet. Can I? I don’t consider myself a fashionista but a well-made pair of Italian knee-high boots seem like something I can’t happily live without!

I just think it's ironic that we struggle so much with the morality of euthanasia, in animals and humans.
Why does it seem like we have an easier time killing for food (or fashion) or for punishment (the death penalty) than we do with relieving a person or animal of pain?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know I just had to put my dog down last month. Maude was the love of my life. My best friend. OK, maybe my husband is the love of my life. Or my daughter. But my dog... it's different with a dog. No one is as close to you as a dog. A dog truly is man's (and woman's) best friend.

But anyway... I never thought I would have to do that. I thought maybe she would just die peacefully in her sleep one day... maybe when she was like 20. But as it stood she was only 10 years old. We had 10 great years together. She got very very sick -- covered in sores and became extremely lethargic. She lost her will to live. We tried everything to heal her but ulitmately she was ready to go.

I totally agree with you. They do stay on longer because they want to be with us. But the best thing we can do for them is tell them that we love them and it's OK for them to go. What happened for me and Maude is this: one night when she was very sick, I said to her, "What do you want, Maude?" And I heard her say (in my mind), "I want to go." That is when I decided I had to respect her wishes. It was not easy. I cried and cried. But I knew it was what she wanted.

We had many conversations over the years about what would happen when she died. I always told her that when she died, I wanted her to reincarnate into a new dog body so she could come be with me again. I totally believe that she will do that.

One more thing... I used to be a vegetarian. In college. I was very adamant about it. I am no longer a vegetarian. I truly believe that animals are OK with the whole death thing. I believe that animals are conscious creators and they are not afraid of death. I believe they come into this life knowing that they are going to die, and they are OK with it.

Humans are the only ones hung up on the death thing. We are the only ones who are afraid. What if Walt Whitman was right in "Leaves of Grass"--- what if death really was a good thing? ...

"I wish I could translate the hints about the dead young men and women,
And the hints about old men and mothers, and the offspring taken soon out of their laps.

What do you think has become of the young and old men?
And what do you think has become of the women and children?

They are alive and well somewhere;
The smallest sprout shows there is really no death;
And if ever there was, it led forward life, and does not wait at the end to arrest it,
And ceas’d the moment life appear’d.

All goes onward and outward—nothing collapses;
And to die is different from what any one supposed, and luckier."

Good stuff. Love that man, Walt. I will continue to eat meat enthusiastically, and give thanks for the life that was lived by that animal. And to quote the Dead Kennedys, "I'm looking forward to death".

Drew said...

I really think that euthanasia and/or suicide for humans should not be up for public debate. If a person wants to end their life - it's nobody's business but their own.

As far as animals go. I've never had a problem with having animals put down when the animal is suffering. If its just done because their owner didn't spay/neuter thier pet, then I have a problem with it.