Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Somehow, it DOES all work out

From the beginning of this moving process, what was stressing me out the most was how I was going to get my belongings and furniture from point A to point B. I’d never actually had things worth moving before, and nothing that wouldn’t fit in a car. My dad suggested that I just get rid of everything and start over but that’s his style, he’s attached to nothing and practically lives like a monk with only the bare minimum. But selling what I have and buying new furniture is more work than moving it.

So there was labor to consider – what would make my life easiest? What would make the most sense financially? The most difficult consideration was when to move. Do I wait until I have a point B and move from one apartment to another? What about breaking my lease? I need to clear out ASAP so the landlords can rent and how long can I afford to leave my stuff there? But if I move it to storage do I still use professional movers? And do I store it here or there (and at that point I don’t think I could have specified which location was here and there.)

My good friends kept saying “don’t worry, it will work out,” which is one of those things that’s really irritating to hear when you’re stressed out. I feel like saying “How? HOW will they work out exactly? Don’t I have to make them work out?” But then, as promised, they did. I found an apartment in San Francisco and a few days later Delancey Street returned my call. When I talked to them initially, they said they’d need to come out and look at the apartment and at my stuff – which concerned me because I wasn’t there – but when I got the guy on the phone I said “Look, I’m already living in the Bay Area; my stuff is packed, I’ve filled out two inventory lists already for moving companies, I think it’s 2,500-3,000 pounds and I need to move it next weekend, is there any way we can do this?” To which he miraculously replied, “yeah” and just like that, I had movers arranged.

On the day of the move, a crew of five young guys covered in tattoos, but otherwise clean cut, arrived on my doorstep an hour early. I wasn’t done packing (I’d lied before about being done) and asked them to come back. “Do you want us to help?” they asked, “we can bang that out for you in ten minutes.” They made an otherwise crazy day into an easy one. They were polite and professional, quick and careful. I felt taken care of and actually enjoyed the process. It cost me just over $1,400, which is a very good price. They packed me on a Friday and I my things were delivered Wednesday morning in San Francisco, also about an hour early, by a similarly professional and pleasant crew. They were able to get everything through the slim doorway of my new building and not one thing was damaged or broken. Whoever said, “it will work out” was a genius! (I think it was Steve).

No comments: