Pages

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Beauty products you can eat

I just got my hair cut, and yes it's super short again. I let it grow for three months, hoping to retain some length, but no one does what I want them to. This lady cut it and it looked cute and still didn't look too short. Then she shampooed it and brought me back and let it dry. She put product in it, I liked it! Then she showed me the back but the whole time I was looking in the mirror she was chopping away at the front! Then she used the blow dryer to get the pieces off. It was starting to look short but I thought she was done. Nope, snipping away at the sides at the speed of light, she asked me what I thought of the back. More product. More snipping! By the time I was done, it was only slightly less short than the last time. I guess I won't bother waiting three months next time.

Anyway, she washed my hair with shampoo and used styling product from this new line of beauty products, John Masters Organics. The packaging is biodegradable yet stylish and the products have enticing names and delicious smells. Everything is edible and organic and produced in an environmentally friendly and human friendly way. I love the way they made my hair look and feel and they have absolutely no chemicals! For salon quality products, they're really reasonably priced and much better than Aveda, whose products I never liked and were never all natural. He makes pet products too, endorsed by PETA if you can believe it. Check out his mission statement and video.


See, if you eat chemicals, your body has an army of protections working to save you before they reaches your bloodstream. When you put products on your skin and lips and hair, the chemicals in those products soak right into your bloodstream. It's more dangerous to put chemicals ON your body than it is to put them IN your body yet the FDA has much more lenient restrictions chemicals in beauty products than they do for our food. My friend blogged about this and mentioned a company called Terressentials, which I haven't tried. Either way, not only it is much better for us to stop polluting our bodies with chemicals, when you shower those chemicals go down the drain and into our water supply passing them on for someone else to drink or shower with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried any products from Lush? (lush.com) They're heavenly, and natural, and handmade -- each container even has a custom sticker with a cartoon drawing of the person who made your batch.

Everything smells delicious and if you happen to lick your hand after applying moisturizer ... well, it tastes like coconut oil, because that's the first ingredient.

A lot of their products can't be shipped because they're fresh and would melt/deteriorate. That actually makes me like the brand even more. Their stores have a mud mask "buffet" with made-that-day concoctions.

There's a store in Los Angeles, so if you haven't checked them out, go! Try some Fresh Farmacy soap and some Celestial face moisturizer. My skin has never been happier.

Angelique Little said...

I forgot about Lush! I tried their products as gifts and found them to be too scented but I bet they have others that are scent-free. I will have to look into it again. There's a store near me. I didn't realize they had hair products, I thought it was just bath stuff. Thanks for the reminder!

By the way, the only thing I put on my face is pure coconut oil and my skin has looked better than it has in years. I used to try expensive creams and now I literally just use the oil and I love it.