Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

"Guilt-free affluence"

I was listening to one of my Pop!Tech lectures on the bus the other morning and this guy Alex Steffen was saying what I've been saying. That environmental change will require a change in perception and a change in our model of economy. The world is merely one possible perspective but our current awareness will change the way we look at things, the earth and each other. "Things" will no longer be something to own, but something to use.

None of us, he says, wants to contribute to the denigration of the earth but we do all want "guilt-free affluence." The moment in time that we're in, while a "gigantic challenge," is also an immense opportunity to make this change. All of our challenges are political. The technology to solve all of our problems exists, but will we use it? Will we be able to change the system to adopt our new needs and desires? Watch the lecture, it's fantastic!

1 comment:

Cheeseslave said...

It is really good.

BTW I was thinking of you when I watched this short, The Story of Stuff.

Here -- I posted about it:

http://cheeseslave.wordpress.com/2007/12/05/the-story-of-stuff/

You have to see this -- I think you will think it's amazing. I did, anyway.

(I moved my blog)